May 3rd, 2007
My rebuilding-really-old-stuff binge is continuing. I got stuck for about three days on Skencil, a fairly old but still moderately used drawing app. After lots of frustration, lots of grepping, lots of exceedingly ugly perl substitution commands and several patches judiciously stolen^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hborrowed from other distros, we now have a Skencil package that builds on 2007.0, 2007 Spring and Cooker i586 and x86-64. It doesn’t actually run on Cooker because Cooker is sporting shiny new Tcl/Tk 8.5, which breaks lots and lots of apps including Skencil, but it does run on 2007.0 and 2007 Spring, so that’s an improvement. The package is in /main/testing for 2007 and 2007 Spring if anyone wants to poke it. I’d appreciate testing on x86-64 because I don’t have an x86-64 test machine.
Skencil has a fork called sk1 which looks interesting, I’ll try and package this up too.
Besides that one I’ve also been fighting with some CJK input packages that were rather badly packaged. I updated the (lib)tabe package with proper naming and proper file locations and fixed it to build on x86-64, then did the same for xcin. Now I need to find any other input methods that rely on (lib)tabe and make sure they work with the updated package.
Aside from that, I’ve been updating the Erratas for 2007 and Spring, and working on some communications stuff. I’ve written an article on virtualization in Spring that we’re going to send to some news sites just to try and keep Spring in the public eye and spread the word about some of the nice included packages. It’ll be posted on the Club soon.